A recipe shared by Melissa Hemsley when she appeared as a guest chef next door at Roth Bar & Grill.
- 3 1/2 to 4 pounds Whole chicken patted dry
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons Cooking oil or melted butter
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black or white pepper
- ½ -1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-2 pounds new potatoes (cut in half )
- Place chicken breast side down on a board or flat work surface.
Next, cut both sides of the backbone of the chicken with kitchen scissors, starting at the thigh end, working your way up to the neck. Remove the backbone, and save for homemade chicken stock.
Grab hold of both sides of the chicken, and open like you would a book. Turn breast side up.
Push down on each side of breast with your hands until you hear it cracking. Then flatten the chicken.
If desired remove the wishbone makes it easier to carve the whole breast in a single piece.
Rub inside and out of the chicken with salt. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine oil or butter with spice blend. Add enough oil so there is enough for basting.
Let this mixture sit for a little bit - about 5 minutes.
Generously rub the chicken inside out with spice blend, then refrigerate until ready to cook.
Mix together potatoes with blackened spice in a bowl. Lightly salt, set aside.
When ready to bake, roast chicken on top of a cookie rack; chicken on top and potatoes below.
Roast at 400°F until skin is crisp and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast reads 165°F about 35- 45 minutes.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting each chicken into quarters or to desired pieces.