- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3tbsp unsalted butter or rapeseed oil
- 1kg asparagus (after trimming woody stem)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 380ml coconut milk
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp finely chopped lemongrass
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Cut the asparagus into 1cm pieces.
- 1 tsp of freshly chopped coriander/ chives
- 2tbsp coconut cream
Cook the onion in the butter or oil in a heavy stock pot over a medium heat and stir until softened.
Add the lemongrass and ginger and continue to cook for about 3 minutes.
Add the asparagus pieces and season, cook stirring frequently for about 5 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and the stock, simmer until the asparagus pieces are very soft, about 15 minutes.
Purée the soup in batches in a blender until smooth.
Add lemon juice and garnish with coriander or chives and a swirl of coconut cream.
If making ahead then add the lemon juice after re-heating.